HIV-positive? We treat several hundred HIV clients.
All doctors at Checkpoint Zurich have years of experience in treating HIV. Checkpoint Zurich is a member of the Swiss HIV cohort study and other national and international research projects. Checkpoint Zurich is a competent center in Switzerland for people living with HIV.
By now, there are so many substances available for antiretroviral therapy (ART) that a suitable combination with few side effects can be found for each patient. Efficacy and tolerance are monitored by regular check-ups. Under complete suppression of the viral load, the HI virus is no longer transmitted. This means: HIV-positive people under successful therapy with an undetectable viral load cannot pass on the virus sexually.
The advantages as an HIV client at Checkpoint Zurich:
- You have the choice of five doctors with many years of experience and competence in HIV and infectiology
- Our clinic is located directly at Zurich main station
- All treatments are always carried out according to the latest scientific findings
- We attach great importance to a personal patient-doctor relationship and thus to a main responsible medical caregiver
- We are part of an international network of research, clinics and community
- Our doctors know the LGBT+ world and do not hold preconceived opinions and prejudices
- We are a study center for the Swiss HIV cohort Study, and participate in further research projects
- You will find in-house psychotherapeutic and peer-to-peer support
- Your treatment can take place in German, English, Italian. Spanish or Arabic
- We offer you appointments also outside the regular opening hours
Whether you are new to HIV or have lived with HIV for a long time, we are here for you! Please call for an appointment: 044 455 59 10
Antiretroviral therapy is nowadays always recommended right after diagnosis. This prevents not only damage to the immune system done by the HI virus, but also reduces the damaging effect the virus can have on other organs, for example the heart, kidneys and brain. Usually a combination of three drugs is used, in the simplest case the three drugs are combined in a single tablet which is taken once a day. However, a therapy is always decided individually and takes many aspects into account. The intake of the tablets is only occasionally dependent on food intake. A cure for HIV has only been successful in very few individual cases worldwide. However, in recent years, research has shown further progress in this area.
People with HIV under therapy can achieve the same life expectancy as people without HIV, as long as treatment is started early enough, especially if risk factors for premature ageing of the cardiovascular system are avoided (no smoking, treatment of high blood pressure). Sex with HIV positive people under effective therapy is safe.